Runaway win for Brods

Brods v Yarnbury' Zack Thompson's second try,
Brods v Yarnbury' Zack Thompson's second try,

Five second-half tries helped Old Brodleians to a comfortable 42-22 home win in the twice-postponed Yorkshire One home game with Yarnbury yesterday.

The Woodhead side’s powerful runners made the most of improved conditions against the fourth-from-bottom visitors, who had been lifted by a victory over Old Crossleyans the previous week.

It was 15-15 at the interval but the writing was on the wall for Yarnbury with the slope to face and the home pack in charge.

The visitors from Leeds, beaten 52-8 by Brods in the earlier meeting this season, started purposefully and forced a lineout close to the home line.

The home side covered well across the pitch to snuff out the threat and made ground when Matty Hoyle’s clearance was knocked on.

Great work at the breakdown from prop Callum Thompson, followed by strong carrying from Luke Scrimshaw paved the way for centre Nathan Scott to break a tackle and go under the posts on 12 minutes. Hoyle converted.

A poor clearance kick - Brods’ Achilles heel in the continued absence of Danny Wood - and some weak tackling from the backs allowed Yarnbury to draw level shortly after.

Giant lock Ian Maycock was able to off-load in a two-man tackle and winger Ellis Gomersall touched down wide out. Fly-half Danny Pound added a fine conversion.

Alarm bells were starting to ring in the home ranks when the visitors took a 12-7 lead on 20 minutes. Yarnbury kept the ball alive well and Maycock strode past ineffective tacklers.

Brods were failing to contest Yarnbury lineout ball and the home fans felt their side was getting a raw deal from the referee.

However, the return of South African prop Josh Cricknay after a couple of months out through injury helped the home pack hold sway.

A great individual try from emerging fullback Zak Ward, who swatted off a couple of tacklers in a diagonal run to the corner from half-way, made it 12-12 on 33 minutes.

Rob Jennings and James Ogden combined to make a break which earned Brods a penalty kicked by Hoyle on 37 minutes. However, Scrimshaw was penalised for holding on in a ruck and Pound levelled matters in the last act of the half.

Brods turned the screw after the break but only managed one try in the third quarter. Jennings made a half-break and his long pass enabling Zak Ward to score his second on 52 minutes.

Cricknay put more daylight between the sides when he powered over from an inside pass just after the hour mark, Hoyle converting to make it 27-17.

Brods lost replacement Cameron Wroot to the sin-bin and flanker Jack Andrew with a severe elbow injury but it made little difference as their wingers cut loose against a tiring defence in the last 10 minutes.

Ben Barron, determined and elusive, crossed on 70 and 79 minutes and in between his scores there was a determined effort from Anton Gaughan and Maycock’s second try for Yarnbury.

Hoyle was unable to convert any of Brods’ last three tries, a concern for the future perhaps but not yesterday.