Jonny double in Brods win

Selby v Brods' Jonny Cole
Selby v Brods' Jonny Cole

Old Brodleians got back to winning ways with a 22-18 success away to an improving Selby side, displaying their best and worst characteristics during the 80 minutes.

They left their supporters with a glimpse of their potential and also demonstrated the inconsistency which makes every Yorkshire One game they are involved in a contest.

In the first half the Woodhead boys played with patience and precision, dominating possession and territory whilst Selby defended well.

Olly Akroyd opened the scoring with a penalty after four minutes and the visitors continued to press with good handling in midfield.

Selby tackled resiliently but eventually the pressure began to tell and Rob Jennings and Jonny Cole were able to break the line.

Michael Briggs’ kick and chase put the Woodhead boys in a good position in the home 22 and following a sequence of forward drives Cole finished well. Akroyd converted and a 10-0 lead was due reward for a good controlled first half performance.

Selby took the initiative from the restart and forced a penalty deep in the Brods’ half with Tom Breakwell receiving a yellow card. Josh Cruise took the three points.

Brods started to lose their discipline and became erratic in defence.

Briggs produced a try-saving tackle when hard running back-row forward Charlie Cicero broke through. The hosts maintained the pressure and earned a penalty under the posts to get back in the game at 10-6 after 52 minutes.

Brods were still a man down and Selby continued to press. They were rewarded when their left winger kicked ahead, chased and with a kind bounce scored in the corner. Selby now led 11-10 and for 10 minutes Brods had hardly touched the ball.

One restored to 15, Brods took the game back to their hosts.

Awarded a penalty in midfield, a great touch finder by Danny Cole put Brods in the corner for a lineout. Bob Sykes took the ball well and the Brods pack surged to the line. After several attempts to cross the white wash, young prop Reece Ward forced his way over.

Discipline and momentum returned to Brods’ play but Selby were still dangerous on the counter.

The hosts produced some great handling on the edge of the Brods 22 and stretched the defence for debutant and home man of the match Eddie Brown to stride over and give his side an 18-17 lead on the hour.

Brods showed real character in coming back again to dominate the closing 10 minutes. They declined a kickable penalty and kicked to the corner again. The inevitable drive was well orchestrated and Jonny Cole at the back of the maul took full advantage to claim his second try of the game.

In an entertaining game, Brods were clearly the stronger side but must look to maintain their discipline over 80 minutes to continue their challenge in the top four.