Heath’s fruitless trip to coast

Hullensians v Heath'Dom Walsh with Josh White
Hullensians v Heath'Dom Walsh with Josh White

Heath conceded a double to Yorkshire One hosts Hullensians, who beat them 18-6 on the east coast yesterday.

The visitors failed to capitalise when they had the advantage and were caught out by quick breaks from the home side, who denied them a losing bonus point with a try in the closing seconds.

Heath, playing only their second game in seven weeks, gave Tobias Hinchliffe a first team debut from the bench after several excellent performances in the seconds.

Dave Harrison’s side made the worst possible start, conceding a try in the first three minutes when Jason Conroy cut through their defence. Full back Guy Martinson converted.

Matt Baxendale charged down an attempted clearance and when Callum Harriet-Brown was brought down illegally Ezra Hinchliffe made it 7-3 after seven minutes.

Excellent kicks from Jack Crabtree and Ezra Hinchliffe ensured Heath had a territorial advantage but they could not capitalise.

Josh White and Peter Birkett were prominent as Heath camped in the home 22 but a missed pass saw Hullensians break and go almost the length of the field before Si Brown put in a try saving tackle.

Baxendale was sin-binned for a high tackle - much to the astonishment of visiting supporters - and after a stray pass from Dom Walsh, Harriet-Brown was yellow carded for an intentional knock on.

Chris Harding’s penalty stretched the lead to 10-3 after 30 minutes.

With Baxendale back, White linked well with Matt Beasty and Cameron Ramsden but Hinchliffe’s penalty just before half time went wide.

Hullensians looked to increase their lead but Heath had re-grouped and were helped when home centre Ollie Emanuel was sin binned, following a fracas at a scrum.

Heath were unable to cash in and when Hullensians broke clear, Ezra Hinchliffe and Mark Puttick put in telling tackles.

Replacement Howard Hanks was quickly involved and Crabtree’s cross field kick might have produced a try for Baxendale.

Hullensians hit a post with a penalty from a rare attack but with the visitors at sixes and sevens did make it 13-3 on 68 minutes.

Tobias Hinchliffe made a couple of runs before a charge from Alex McFadden produced a penalty which Hinchliffe accepted two minutes from time.

With the gap down to seven points Heath went looking for a try but a mistake enabled Aaron Williams to cross and leave the visitors empty handed.