Heath get badly stung

editorial image

Heath were given a sound 64-0 home thrashing by Yorkshire One title hopefuls Bradford and Bingley yesterday.

In near-perfect conditions at North Dean, they never got a foothold in a match rearranged from January and injuries added to their woes.

In the absence of Ezra Hinchliffe, Sam Pollard came in at centre with Jack Crabtree at fullback. Ollie Cook, Matt Baxendale and Darren Neilly were on the bench.

Heath’s poor tackling was exposed in the early exchanges and Adam Mitchell pounced on a kick over the home defence for a try in the corner after three minutes. The goal was added by Richard Scull.

The hosts responded with strong runs from Cameron Ramsden, Howard Hanks and Callum Harriett-Brown as they came to terms with the pace of the game.

However, on 13 minutes another missed tackle allowed the visitors to score in the same corner and convert.

Bees continued to attack, moving the ball from one side of the field to the other.

On 25 minutes, following good work from Dominic Walsh, Harriett-Brown and Crabtree, Josh White chased down a ball but the visitors managed to find touch.

The Bees defended well and broke loose again. An injury to White brought Neilly on.

The visiting backs and forwards were equally comfortable in possession and flanker Tom Booth scored their third try on 31 minutes, again converted by Scull.

The bonus-point try came two minutes later with a winger completing his hat-trick.

At 26-0 it was already damage limitation for Heath but as half time approached Bees claimed a Heath lineout and Mitchell went in again, under the posts, and the kick was again accurate.

Bees continued where they had left off, centre Lachlan Moore scoring in the first minute of the second half.

Matt Beasty was injured and on 45 minutes the Bees No 8 scored a try after a scorching run, in which he exposed Heath’s lack of pace in midfield.

Heath kept battling but visiting flanker Greg Whatley ran in another try under the posts, which was converted, to bring up the half-century in 52 minutes.

Heath would not lie down and Matt Baxendale got over the try line but was adjudged to have been held up.

Mark Sales went off but the procession continued. Nick Gore scored in the corner and the visitors’ final try came from Moore under the posts.