Crocs beaten under new coach

editorial image

Old Crossleyans were unable to follow up their encouraging home success over Thornensians with new coach Ian Yates at the helm yesterday.

Yates, who has taken over from Mark Walton in the last week, saw a much-changed Broomfield side lose 45-18 away to Wath-Upon-Dearne.

The visitors, who made seven changes and were without the likes of Neil Richardson, Jack Hammond and Billy Hammond, led 13-0 in the first half and a Ryan Sweeney conversion which could have made it 20-20 on 55 minutes hit a post.

However, the home side proved fitter and stronger and scored 25 points without reply in the last 17 minutes for an ultimately one-sided score line to the Yorkshire Two contest.

The next to bottom Crocs, with veteran Richard Jowett returning to the firsts at stand off, made an encouraging start on their first ever league trip to the flat, open South Yorkshire venue.

The returning Sweeney, who replaced brother Gareth on the wing, opened the scoring with a penalty and made it 10-0 after Bodge Sembi had charged over near the posts following Will Clayton’s break.

Sweeney added a penalty for offside on 22 minutes but the home forwards made their presence felt with a maul and drive from way out, blind side flanker Ashley Rothery getting the try and stand off Jack Whitlam converting.

The gap was down to one point on 33 minutes when Wath stole lineout ball near the visitors’ line and No 7 Joe Earp barged over for an unconverted try.

Crocs threatened with more strong work from Sembi but Wath made ground for Whitlam’s penalty to put them 15-13 up.

Sweeney was just short with a long range penalty before the break.

Ben Cairns scored Wath’s third try on 45 minutes but Crocs recovered and forward pressure led to prop Phil Schedlebaeur touching down, Sweeney’s kick striking the woodwork.

Whitlam’s penalty made it 23-18 on 64 minutes and he added the conversion after centre Anthony Barrett had crossed wide out and run behind the posts.

Whitlam added another three points from distance on 70 minutes and late tries from centre Steve Mason and No 8 Adam West, plus one more Whitlam conversion, took Wath well clear.