Brods well beaten by Scarborough

editorial image

The showers were out of action at Woodhead yesterday and the mud hid a few red faces as Old Brodleians were embarrassed 32-13 by a proficient, determined Scarborough side.

A third, and potentially most damaging, defeat of Brods’ Yorkshire One campaign left serious doubts over their ability to mount a promotion challenge.

The writing was on the wall from a fairly early stage for the fourth-placed side against mid-table opponents who won at Hipperholme last season and for whom the famous Woodhead slope clearly holds no terrors.

There may have been a lack of water in the clubhouse but there was plenty outside after Friday’s snow and Saturday morning’s sleet and heavy rain.

The pitch absorbed it amazingly well and Scarborough made the most of it, producing some excellent support play after their backs had sliced through or run around their home counterparts.

James Marshall, drafted in at full back in an ever changing home back line, did his best but was left with a thankless task.

Brods’ lack of a kicking game was again apparent as the seasiders moved smoothly into a 15-0 lead after 27 minutes up the hill.

A 12th minute penalty from centre Graham Hogg was followed by the opening try. Scarborough won possession at a breakdown on half-way and it only needed two passes to leave the hosts exposed, stand off Tom Harrison showing good pace before diving in at the corner.

Hogg’s conversion attempt hit an upright and the centre then burst through flimsy midfield defence and found Harrison on his shoulder for the number 10 to make it two tries in seven minutes. Hogg converted.

Brods had the upper hand in the scrums and also used the driving maul effectively to gain ground and win penalties in the run up to half time.

They battered away at the visitors’ try line but the referee eventually came to Scarborough’s rescue with a penalty award.

It was Brods’ turn to be relieved when Hogg intercepted close to his own line but he was brought back for offside.

Visiting prop Nino Cutino, who repeatedly went to ground to halt Brods’ advancing maul, was eventually yellow carded and Brods made their forward strength tell via captain Ollie Akroyd at the back of a scrum in the closing seconds of the half.

Hogg and Akroyd traded penalties to make it 8-18 on 49 minutes before Scarborough put the game to bed with two converted tries close to the hour mark.

Hogg again broke through the middle and sent No 8 Ben Martin under the posts, then impressive full back Tom Ratcliffe breezed through on the right with the home defence again all at sea.

Brods spent the last 15 minutes striving hard to make the score line more respectable and replacement Jonny Cole got their second unconverted try from a driving maul wide on the right.

A frustrating game for the hosts finished on the most frustrating of notes when prop Benny Pritchett dashed to the try line, was held up and the referee decided there wasn’t time for Brods to press home their forward advantage at the five metre scrum.