Woodhouse player ‘was bit’ in draw

Walsden soccer team. Marc Walters.
Walsden soccer team. Marc Walters.

Woodhouse United’s Marc Walters exacted his own revenge after claims that he was bitten during a Rochdale Sunday League match last weekend.

Walters scored a late equaliser as the Todmorden side, returning to action after a five-week break, grabbed a fine 4-4 draw against second-placed hosts A-Z Windscreens.

Visiting player-manager Jonny Sutcliffe was pleased with a much-needed point which lifted his side a place to fourth from bottom in Division Two.

However, the game was over shadowed by the alleged biting incident in the second half.

Sutcliffe said Walters had been bitten on his shoulder.

The referee hadn’t seen the offence take place but had been shown the bite mark and had said he would include the claims in his report. United took a picture of the mark as evidence.

A-Z Windscreens had a man red carded just after half time for kicking out at a visiting player and Sutcliffe said: “A couple of their heads went.”

Sutcliffe admitted Woodhouse had a chequered disciplinary record but said that on this occasion his players had kept their heads and concentrated on their football.

That had enabled them to get something out of the game.

Woodhouse’s 17-man line-up had shrunk to 13 by Sunday morning with some no doubt fearing another postponement.

However, the 40-minute journey to Plant Hill Park, Blackley, was not in vain with the pitch in reasonable condition considering the volume of rain on Saturday.

Sutcliffe gave Woodhouse an early boost with a firm finish from Joe Gale’s through ball.

The home side drew level but Joe Connor set up Ryan Bullcock to restore the visitors’ lead after 35 minutes.

Windscreens made it 2-2 before half time but midfielder Bullcock’s second goal edged Woodhouse in front again five minutes after the break.

The dismissal seemed to sharpen the hosts’ focus and they played their best football for a time.

Windscreens went 4-3 up and they looked as though they would hold on until Sutcliffe fed Joe Gale and he crossed for Walters to slot home with a couple of minutes left.

Sutcliffe said: “We could have won but a draw against the second in the league at their place is good.”

Having blown away the cobwebs, Woodhouse are keen to get in one last match in 2015 at home to Catholic Club, who are immediately above them in the table, on Sunday.