Waiters make Feathers fly

Actions from the game, Feathers FC v Waiters Arms, at Mytholmroyd. Pictured is Richard Veal and Dean Park
Actions from the game, Feathers FC v Waiters Arms, at Mytholmroyd. Pictured is Richard Veal and Dean Park

Waiters Arms went eight points clear at the top of the Ziggy’s Metro Cars Halifax Sunday League with a gritty 2-0 victory over Feathers.

Despite missing a few regulars, they started quite brightly and should have been two up in the first 10 minutes with David Chappell off target.

Waiters did take the lead midway through the half thanks to a well taken goal from Billy Grogan, who slotted past Chris Silkstone after a neat 1-2 with Colin Maguire.

Feathers offered little going forward but showed neat touches in the middle of the park with Joel Cleary and Ryan Allen trying their best on a heavy surface but finding themselves under pressure from the versatile Harry Talbot at every turn.

Waiters nerves were settled five minutes after the restart when Chappell raced clear but was brought down by Nathan Cleary, Col Maguire scoring from the spot.

Chances were then at a premium with Waiters happy to emerge with a first clean sheet of the season.

Matthew Bagshaw’s Barge FC side emphatically took the spoils in the derby with Top Club, winning 9-2.

A youthful Top Club could only muster 10 fit bodies but still took the lead after 38 seconds through 16-year-old Kerrigan Mitchell.

The response from the heavy favourites was emphatic with David Woffenden plundering four goals in a fitting way to celebrate his birthday.

Top Club did net again through leading scorer Brad Main, but a brace apiece from Sam Halstead and man of the match Marcus Stapley, plus an Ethan Deal strike secured the three points for Barge.

Queens Head went second with a 4-2 success away to Hollins Holme.

Hollins were unable to make early pressure pay and fell behind after half an hour when a poor back pass was picked off by Martin Woodhouse.

Steve Parker’s side conceded a second on the stroke of half-time when the ball ricochetted in off a home player following a long ball.

Hollins clawed their way back through a Jacob Travis 20-yarder around the hour mark.

Joe Gibson, who had a fine match switched to the attack, headed an equaliser but Woodhouse got a second following a free kick outside the box and John Moynes sealed success for the visitors with a long-range lob over ‘keeper Rob Laycock.

Hollins were left to rue a couple of efforts against the woodwork and good saves by the visiting keeper.

In Division One, Beehive & Crosskeys edged out Old Pond by the odd goal for the second time this season, winning 3-2 at Savile Park.

Pond had suffered a cruel 4-3 reversal at Lane Head in early September and hopes of a better result were boosted when Kristian Ellis and Paul Taylor combined to set Sean Suttle through on goal. The wide man expertly rounded Jack Beaumont in the home side’s net and stroked home the opener.

Beehive struck back via a great strike into the top corner from Alex O’Keefe but Taylor fed Chris Allan, who calmly restored Pond’s advantage.

An unfortunate headed own goal from Dave Lawrence got Beehive level and having three subs to throw into the fray helped them.

Jason Kirby was outstanding in the Pond goal but Nick Green cut inside and curled the ball into the top corner as his side leap-frogged Pond in a very tight table.

Halifax Hammers Reserves retained a four point lead over Lee Mount at the top. Hammers were 5-2 home winners over Ryburn Valley while Mount romped to an 11-0 success away to Halifax Rangers.

King Cross Park stayed on Lee Mount’s tails with a 3-1 success away to Ryburn United.

In Division Two, North Bridge picked up an impressive 3-0 victory over second placed Triangle, who had won six on the spin.

With regular centre backs Anthony Todd and Sam Davidson unavailable, Ben Large and Jamie Callaghan were given the task of working alongside Ash Whitaker and Lee McCallion.

Triangle pressed but only mustered one effort of note in the first half at Lane Head.

Reese Fox and Mike Kirwan linked well for Bridge and put in some dangerous crosses.

In the last attack of the half, Tom Hoodlass played the ball to man of the match Andy Warnes, who turned his marker and placed the ball into the bottom left corner to give the home side the lead.

Bridge pushed forward again and were rewarded with a second from Warnes, who received the ball from Andy Day and lobbed the on-rushing keeper.

The Bridge defence got a little complacent and Triangle squandered a couple of opportunities before Day copied Warnes’ early lob and floated home another fine finish.

Late on Warnes struck a post whilst McCallion cleared off the line and Andy Blakely had to make a couple of decent saves.

Bradshaw notched the league’s biggest win of the day, by 16-0 at home to a Halifax Rangers Reserves side who must surely have been short-handed.

Laders Fountain Head brushed aside lowly Ovenden Phoenix 5-1 and Halifax Amateurs thumped a Weavers side who have struggled of late by 6-0.