Relief for Red Star as barren spell ended with runaway win

Daniel Lumb was one of Hebden Royd Red Star's scorers in their wide-margin success over Elland United
Daniel Lumb was one of Hebden Royd Red Star's scorers in their wide-margin success over Elland United

Hebden Royd Red Star can enjoy a weekend off, having bagged their first win of 2015 with a resounding 7-2 success away to bottom side Elland United last Saturday.

The win for Chris Garbutt’s side in the Premier Division of the Halifax AFL came after an early scare.

Elland scored in the first minute and were 2-1 up midway through the first half, goals from Martin Boon and Adam Goldthorpe being split by one from Eddie Harvey following Garbutt’s cross to the back post.

James Chadwick hauled Star level after Lewis Cockroft’s effort had been saved and Harvey curled the ball into the top corner from Pat Thomas’s through ball to make it 3-2 at the interval.

Red Star pulled clear in the second half.

Thomas chipped the ‘keeper from Cockroft’s through ball; Cockroft rounded the ‘keeper after Chadwick had flicked on Joe Kidder’s long kick; Dan Lumb’s header from a corner was deflected in; and the ball ended up in the net after a 50-50 challenge between Eddie Harvey and the home custodian.

Garbutt said: “In the first half they probably played the better football but we had more chances and hit the woodwork and had other attempts cleared off the line.

“They had two chances in the whole game and scored both while we wasted a lot of opportunities.”

Calder ‘76 backed up their win over Sowerby United with a more assured 3-1 home success over Greetland.

They had been poor in the first meeting, losing 4-2, but this time it was Greetland who were below-par.

James Megson made an indifferent start but opened the scoring in a goalmouth melee after 20 minutes.

Calder had a Remi Allen effort chalked off for offside and Greetland made it 1-1 from their best move of the match, Carl Ainley finishing well.

The hosts pushed on after the break with the help of a Ricky Topham penalty.

A bizarre goal sealed victory. The visiting ‘keeper, who had just made a superb save from Max Crossley, slammed a clearance against the backside of a defender and the ball rebounded into the net.