Red Star climb to the summit

editorial image

Hebden Royd Red Star went top of the Haslem-Sheppard Halifax AFL on Saturday with a 2-0 win away to Copley United.

Danny Lumb and Joe Janusczk got the goals as Red Star beat the bottom side at Shroggs Park.

Victory took Chris Garbutt’s side above Ryburn, Warley and Illingworth SM, who were all in cup action.

Champions Calder ‘76 are up to sixth after a 3-0 home win over Sowerby United in the only other Premier Division game.

The first half was goalless with Sowerby in charge. The pace of man of the match Corey Henderson and Rory Thickett gave the Calder defence a torrid time.

Things changed with two early strikes in the second half. Remi Allen rose above everyone to head home from a corner and Steve Jones nipped in to head Calder’s second.

Sowerby pressed but were wasteful and Sam Cartwright made the game safe when he capitalised on a defensive error.

Holmfield moved closer to leading pair Sowerby Bridge and Shelf FC in Division One when they scrambled past Salem 4-3 at Natty Lane.

Callum Meade struck twice for them.

There was also a brace for AFC Crossleys’ Tom Boyle in a 3-1 win away to Midgley United Reserves, whose quest for a first point goes on.

Five matches took place in Division Two and Illingworth St Mary’s Reserves’ unbeaten start came to an abrupt end with a 6-3 defeat to a strong Shelf United Reserves side.

Shelf started strongly, with Harry Talbot causing problems for the Saints defence, and soon took the lead when a weak shot was lost in the bright sun by keeper Tony Clarke and the ball rolled over the line.

Shelf doubled their lead moments later following more sloppy defending.

Illingworth started to get back in the game and just before the break Robbie Sinclair continued his recent scoring run from full back with a diving header from Nathan Field’s cross.

The second half saw Saints draw level through a Bailey Naylor penalty. But after that it was all one way traffic with Talbot adding two, Ben Grech-Brooksbank another and substitute Ross Broadley one.

Naylor added a late consolation for Saints with a neat finish.

St Columba’s grabbed a late winner against less fancied opponents for the second game in a row to beat Heben Royd Red Star Reserves 3-2 away.

Saints raced into a two goal lead after 20 minutes. George Cook calmly slotted home after good work down the right wing from Andy Sandells and then Jack Wilkinson bent the ball into the bottom corner from long range.

Hebden pulled one back before the break after a deflection took the ball over Macauley Richardson.

Star were energised by the goal and grabbed an equaliser with a close range header midway through the second half.

Saints were struggling to turn pressure into clear cut chances and time was running out when the ball fell to Ben Caldwell, who drilled home from 12 yards.

Two goals each for Callum Huggon and Alex Haggerty helped Sowerby United Reserves maintain their momentum with a 4-2 home win over Plummet Line.

Charlie Hirst scored a hat-trick and Liam Smith two as Northowram reserves won 6-1 away to AFC Crossleys Reserves.

Sowerby Bridge Reserves were also handsome winners on their travels, by 4-1 against Salem Reserves.

Ivy House powered through to the Ziggy’s Metro Cars Invitation Cup final in their first season with a 5-1 win over Calder 76 Reserves.

Jake Kennedy scored a hat-trick and Isaac Nicholl got the other two goals.

Their opponents will be holders Ryburn United Reserves, who beat their Greetland counterparts 3-1 on penalties after a 1-1 draw.