Raynor header gives Warley revenge win

Actions from Shelf FC v Brighouse Sports, football, at Lane Head. Pictured is Jonny Aaron and Luke Heffernan
Actions from Shelf FC v Brighouse Sports, football, at Lane Head. Pictured is Jonny Aaron and Luke Heffernan

Warley gained a modicum of revenge for last season’s Challenge Cup final heartache when they beat their Shay conquerors Midgley United in Saturday’s second round.

They did it with an extra time winner of their own, substitute Oliver Raynor meeting Tom Hiley’s near post corner with an unstoppable header to give the visitors a 2-1 success.

Rangers had started on top with Hiley slicing one opportunity wide and Dean Lawrence somehow missing the target after a swift counter attack led by Carlton Balmer.

As the half wore on the home side started to force Warley back and keeper Michael Hickinbotham was forced into three saves, the best a point blank range effort from a Jason Cartlidge header.

The pressure eventually told as Tom Booth wriggled free on the byline and crossed for Greg Spink to rifle into the net.

In first half stoppage time Hiley headed over another good opportunity and Rangers felt aggrieved to trail at the break.

Playing down the slope, Warley pressed from the off but found Rob Stansfield and Andy Butterworth in commanding form in the Midgley defence.

Brandon Gilling tested the ‘keeper with two long range strikes and Hiley curled an audacious effort wide.

With 20 minutes left a Hiley corner was flapped at by the Midgley ‘keeper and after a scramble Dan Kirman poked in the loose ball.

Warley looked the fresher of the sides in extra time and their determined start was rewarded by Raynor’s goal.

Josh Prestage, Jordan Trowell and man of the match Kirman stood firm as Midgley tried to hit back and Warley could have added to their tally through Lawrence as well as having strong appeals for a penalty turned down.

Warley now face a tough quarter final away to Division One title favourites Illingworth St Mary’s, who won 6-2 away to Salem and are one of four first division sides still going strong.

Greetland will host Hebden Royd Red Star in the last eight after both registered 3-2 away wins.

Greetland needed extra time to get the better of Northowram, who had two modest penalty attempts from Mark Eade saved by the visitors’ stand-in ‘keeper Dave Walker.

Adrian Ford, by contrast, put away his spot kick to complete a hat-trick for the visitors.

Ford had drawn first blood but Northowram took a 2-1 interval lead down the slope through Chris Conroy and Shaun Popek.

Conroy had to go in goal when James Bunn suffered a recurrence of a calf strain and Ford levelled things up in the second half before getting the extra time winner.

Red Star won away to division-lower AFC Crossleys, who hit the woodwork through Andy Brunning and Ian King’s 30-yarder before Chris Garbutt gave Star the lead.

Home ‘keeper Kev Crossley saved a penalty but Tom, Garland doubled Star’s advantage before Matty Clark got the home side on the scoresheet.

Danny Lumb knocked home a rebound for 3-1 but Ben Halliday’s header from a corner set up a tense last 15 minutes.

Denholme United beat Sowerby Bridge 6-4 in spite of Martin Bates’s hat-trick for the visitors. Mick O’Connor’s side will next host Ryburn United, who beat Copley 2-0 with goals from Simon Carter and Adam Barlow.

Brighouse Sports thumped Shelf FC 13-3 with a hat-trick from Borhan Doski and braces from Nathan Shaw, Ashley Johnson, Chris Allan and Benedict Barran.

They will fancy their chances away to Elland United but may need to stop Mark Kelsey, who struck four times in United’s 5-1 win over Elland Allstars.

Challenge Cup, third round draw: Denholme United v Ryburn United, Elland United v Brighouse Sports, Greetland v Hebden Royd Red Star, Illingworth St Marys v Warley Rangers. Matches on Saturday, November 28 (1.45pm).