Leaders Midgley in control from the start

editorial image

Midgley United steadied the ship after their shock Halifax FA Cup exit away to Mixenden with a 7-2 win away to Elland United in the Premier Division of the Halifax AFL.

The leaders charged into a 3-0 lead after 15 minutes through Rob Stansfield’s good finish from 12 yards, George Bamford and an Andrew Butterworth penalty after Bamford had been fouled.

Elland got into the contest with two quick goals but Calum Rodgers scored at the back post from a Bamford cross and Rob Stansfield made it 5-2 at the break from a well-worked Andy Butterworth free-kick.

The hosts created more in the second half but Midgley extended their lead through Bamford, from Stansfield’s ball over the top, and Greg Spink’s good finish from 18 yards.

Calder ‘76 fought back from 3-1 down to 3-3 at home to high-flying Stump Cross, only for the visitors to get the all-important seventh goal of the game.

Jonny Gibson drew first blood for Calder but Stump made the most of their set piece opportunities to storm into a 3-1 interval lead.

Gibson reduced the deficit with a penalty for hand-ball and Max Crossley calmly slotted the equaliser.

However, Stump got the winner from a corner with five minutes left, Damian Watkins finishing with a hat-trick for the winners and displaying his power in the air.

Calder ‘76 Reserves put seven goals past Division One whipping boys Greetland Reserves for the second week running.

They followed up a 7-1 home success with a 7-2 away win and ex-Wadsworth player Matty Marsden bagged his second successive hat-trick.

Centre back Matty McCambridge scored twice and a Scott Dawson penalty and a Gav Martin goal accounted for the rest of Calder’s tally.

Midgley Reserves registered their third successive league win with a 4-1 home success over Sowerby Bridge.

James Balmforth got all their goals and Darren Nelson missed a penalty.

Midgley were solid under pressure and hit Bridge, who were in the Premier last season, effectively on the break.