Goals for Allen and Gibson as Calder ‘76 warm to the task

editorial image

Calder ‘76 boss Rob Kenworthy was pleased with a 2-0 home win over Sowerby United in his side’s first Halifax AFL game for four weeks.

Struggling Sowerby were the better side early on but Calder settled once they had taken the lead midway through the first half.

There was a melee in the box and successive back-heels from Jonny Gibson and then Remi Allen resulted in the ball reaching the net.

The clincher came after about an hour when the Sowerby ‘keeper, having made an excellent save, allowed Gibson’s effort through the mud to beat him.

Calder boss Rob Kenworthy said: “It was great to keep a clean sheet,

“We looked very rusty early on but hopefully that will have blown away the cobwebs before we face Greetland at home on Saturday.”

Karl Wooliscroft and Rick Topham were in good form in the centre of defence while Allen will have been pleased to have marked his first start for a year with a goal.

James Redmond played well after stepping up from the reserves, who lost 5-4 away to Elland Allstars in Division One. Nathan Dempsey and Gav Martin scored two goals each for Calder.

Hebden Royd Red Star were beaten 3-2 away to Shelf United, who were playing their first game for two months.

They fell behind after half an hour when a Billy Grogan shot was saved but Oliver Coates followed up to tap in.

Star equalised almost immediately when a cross took a deflection off a defender and looped over home ‘keeper Daniel Gill.

Lee Riley restored Shelf’s advantage from close range but Daniel Lumb made it 2-2 before half time when the ball fell to him after a free-kick had hit the defensive wall.

Star were playing down the slope in the second half but Shelf got the winner when Grogan crossed and Riley, after a good run from midfield, lobbed the ‘keeper.

In a frantic finale, Gill made a couple of good saves while James Goodwin hit the post from distance at the other end.

Red Star Reserves beat Northowram Reserves 3-1.