Ealandians look strong contenders

Football - Brighouse Sports v Midgley United. James Speak for Brighouse and Toby Standering for Midgley.
Football - Brighouse Sports v Midgley United. James Speak for Brighouse and Toby Standering for Midgley.

Only three Halifax AFL teams look likely to contest the quarter finals of the Halifax FA Saturday Cup with high-flying Calder ‘76 among the weekend’s casualties.

The clear Premier Division leaders were humbled 5-0 at home by Yorkshire Amateur League champions Ealandians, who look serious contenders for Shay honours.

Sowerby Bridge were dumped out by the same score at home to Brighouse Old Boys while Premier Division strugglers Holmfield lost 3-1 to another West Yorkshire League side, Huddersfield Amateurs, at Old Earth.

Once Matty Parker opened the scoring for Amateurs after 15 minutes the result was rarely in doubt.

Chris Hockin doubled the lead on the half hour and after the break Jacob Driver rattled the woodwork before he put the tie beyond the visitors with a crisp shot from the edge of the box.

Holmfield threw caution to the wind and missed a penalty before Jordan Pettifor scored with a neat finish against his old side.

Ryburn United, Illingworth St Mary’s and Midgley United all beat fellow AFL sides while Halifax Irish Centre could also make the last eight but would have to beat their first team, who play in the West Riding CAL.

The all-Irish meeting was postponed, as was Thursday’s contest between last season’s finalists Brighouse Town and Ovenden West Riding.

Four goals from Christian Sikstone and one from Owen Wilkinson gave Ryburn a 5-1 win over Salem.

Illingworth, who appear to be a wolf in sheep’s clothing in the first division, beat section-higher visitors Greetland 4-2 after extra time. Goals from Dave Walker and Danny Dorward were in vain for the visitors.

Midgley went through with a deserved 2-1 win away to a well-organised Brighouse Sports side who are hot on the trail of a Premier Division place next season.

The visitors to Lane Head needed an extra half hour to get through after first half injuries to strike pair Tom Booth and Marvin Bonney led to numerous missed chances.

Midgley started strongly but went in at the break a goal down after a poor Rob Stansfield back pass was picked off by an opponent who rounded ‘keeper James Brookes.

Gee’s men continued to dominate, passing well, and they got their reward after 65 minutes when Andrew Butterworth played a ball over the top to Jake Shaw, who clipped the ball over the home ‘keeper.

Brookes made three good saves but the bulk of the chances were at the other end of the pitch.

Shaw and Liam Brompton hit the woodwork in extra time but Butterworth headed the winner 10 minutes in from Brompton’s free kick.