Cup woe as Calder bow out to Warley and Star suffer at Ovenden’s hands

My ball: Hebden Royd Red Star's Daniel Lumb gets in a header despite the attentions of Ovenden's Matthew Jones
My ball: Hebden Royd Red Star's Daniel Lumb gets in a header despite the attentions of Ovenden's Matthew Jones

The Calder Valley’s interest in the Halifax FA Saturday Cup was ended when Calder ‘76 and Hebden Royd Red Star failed to make it through to the semi-finals.

Calder lost 4-2 at home to Warley Rangers while Hebden Royd boss Chris Garbutt’s fears about travelling to play holders Ovenden West Riding on the last Saturday before Christmas proved well founded as his side crashed out 11-1.

Warley made a flying start at Luddenden Foot, racing into a two-goal lead inside 10 minutes.

Tom Hiley and fellow striker Carlton Balmer inflicted the early blows on the hosts.

It was looking as if they might have an easy afternoon as Warley continued on the front foot.

However, Calder dug in and slowly steadied the ship with Karl Wooliscroft standing out.

The home side got their reward shortly before the break when Sam Taylor pulled one back.

Calder were getting more into the game and when a stunning 20-yard drive from Steve Jones hauled them level it was game on.

Both sides went looking for a winner and play swung from end to end.

Warley edged in front with a superb strike from substitute Jordan Trowell from fully 25 yards.

Calder were reduced to 10 men when Carlton Balmer was hauled down by Gav Fleming when through on goal, but being a man down didn’t stop the home side from going in search of an equaliser.

However, Balmer made the game safe with a cool finish in the closing minutes.

Warley will play the winners of the delayed Stump Cross versus Brighouse Town tie.

Red Star had beaten Holmfield and Sowerby Bridge in earlier rounds but found the West Riding County Amateur League champions much too strong.

They were 7-0 down at half time before restricting the damage in the second half, when Patrick Thomas got on the scoresheet for them.

Speedy front-runner John Booth bagged five for the Natty Lane side while ex-Star player Steve Senior scored a hat-trick.

Ovenden, who will host Illingworth St Mary’s in the last four on January 17, were soon on the attack.

Robbie Graham’s penalty was excellently saved by Joe Kidder but Jordan Coduri then sent a second spot kick past the Star custodian.

Excellent build up play involving Carney and Glyn Beale led to a superb finish by Booth, who then added a third.

Carney and Senior made it 5-0 and the efforts of Chris Garbutt were in vain as Booth and Senior stretched the lead.

Booth produced a delightful finish on the hour but Red Star got on the score sheet through Pat Thomas’s penalty after Matt Devlin had handled.

A Graham 30-yarder and further goals from Senior and Booth finished the rout.