Calder beaten but not disgraced at Shroggs

James Redmond for Calder '76 in Saturday's 4-2 defeat to Stump Cross
James Redmond for Calder '76 in Saturday's 4-2 defeat to Stump Cross

Calder ‘76 were unable to do local rivals Midgley United a favour last Saturday, losing 4-2 away to Halifax AFL title favourites Stump Cross.

Calder were far from disgraced at Shroggs Park but goals from Jonny Gibson and Remi Allen were insufficient as Damian Watkins and Tom Robinson scored two apiece for the hosts.

Midgley remain six points ahead of Stump at the top but have played four games more.

Craig Gee’s side had no trouble following up a 6-0 home win over Sowerby United, winning the return 4-0.

They took the lead when home ‘keeper Matt Bridges got the faintest of touches to Greg Spink’s long throw.

Ten minutes before the break George Bamford made it 2-0 and Jordan Dean extended the lead with a low drive.

Midgley missed chances before sub Andrew Smith knocked home a loose ball in the box with 10 minutes left.

Sowerby had a late penalty saved by James Brookes.

In Division One, Calder ‘76 Reserves held title-chasing Mixenden United for the second time this season. After a 3-3 draw in the first meeting, they drew 2-2 at Natty Lane.

Adam Gaze scored the only goal of the first half for Mixenden but Irfan Afzal equalised.

The Calder ‘keeper made a fine double save, only for Gaze to mop up the rebound.

However, Calder got their second with two minutes left through James Jackson from close range.

Midgley Reserves lost 2-1 away to their Ryburn counterparts in a rehearsal for their Invitation Cup final clash.

Ryburn made much of the early running and took the lead after 20 minutes.

The sides were well matched but when the referee turned down the visitors’ appeals for hand-ball on the home line, which might have produced a penalty and a red card, Ryburn went up the other end and doubled their lead.

Jacob Shaw pulled one back on 75 minutes but Midgley could not find a second goal.