Booth injury spoils Valley success

Sunday Football - Old Pond v Carrington. Paul Taylor for Pond and Damian Randall for Carrington.
Sunday Football - Old Pond v Carrington. Paul Taylor for Pond and Damian Randall for Carrington.

Ryburn Valley saw off Premier Division side Hollins Home 3-1 to book their place in the Briggs Priestley Senior Cup semi-finals but the game was marred by a career-threatening injury to Hollins Holme striker Tom Booth.

The 32-year-old, who has also played for Wadsworth and Midgley on a Saturday, broke his tibia and fibula in a 50-50 challenge with the Ryburn ‘keeper after 13 minutes.

His brother Joel, the Hollins manager, said it was a clean break but after an injury-hit two years Tom’s 21-year career, which started with Hebden Bridge Saints, might be over.

The game resumed with the stricken Tom off the field and Valley scored after 30 minutes through Joshua Dodd.

Toby Standring equalised for Hollins just after half-time but Ryburn regained the lead with 20 minutes to go thanks to Dodd’s second. The striker completed his hat-trick to seal victory.

Waiters Arms booked their place in the last four with a 5-2 home win over fellow Premier side Lee Mount while holders Carrington brushed side Old Pond 6-0.

Halifax Hammers will meet North Bridge in the other quarter final.

Mount took a shock 2-0 lead after 20 minutes against Waiters. Jordan Ryder teed up Jordan Pettifor to open the scoring and five minutes later top marksman Callum Meade capitalised on a Waiters slip.

Billy Grogan and Marco Romano went close for the hosts before Lee Wood headed home Dean Park’s delivery.

Wood poked home his second shortly after the restart following a good pass from James Waggett before Kev Talbot put Waiters ahead.

Talbot added a second, finishing smartly past the on-rushing Adam Proberts, whose superb saves were in vain as Talbot completed his hat-trick with a deft lob.

Old Pond manager Richard Dawson was happy with his side’s performance in spite of their heavy defeat to the champions.

The Hove Edge side had shipped 10 or more goals against Carrington in all three previous meetings.

The unbeaten Premier Division leaders started strongly, going ahead through a Lee Williams own-goal.

Any hopes Pond had of pulling off a shock were doused in the first 10 minutes of the second half.

Dan Crosland scored at the back post before Carney bundled the ball over the line to give the favourites a three-goal cushion.

Pond played out the latter stages of the match with 10 men due to injuries and Carrington made them pay as Chris Ellerby (2) and Leon Hurles-Brook added to the tally.

In the Premier Division, Top Club played their first league game since October and were dragged into the relegation picture with a 6-2 defeat to Ryburn United, a reversal of the scoreline the last time the sides met.

Mount Tabor played out a goalless draw with FC Bowling Green.

In Division One, Barge FC edged out Oddfellows 4-3 thanks to goals from Graham Pugh (2), Sam Halstead and star man Andy Salm.

That’s now three wins in a row for Matthew Bagshaw’s promotion-chasing side and the boss praised both sides and referee Gary Porter for putting on a fine spectacle.

Table-toppers Feather FC saw off lowly Bradshaw 5-0 at home, while nearest challengers Beehive & Crosskeys FC lost ground due to a 2-0 loss at Queens Head.

Bottom side Royd Club FC’s wretched run continued with a 4-1 home defeat to Fountain Head FC and Ovenden FC secured a 2-0 triumph at Triangle.

In Division Two, King Cross Park FC edged past title rivals Halifax Hammers Reserves in a 5-4 thriller.

Hammers took the lead after six minutes through captain Wajid Nawaz.

The visitors continued to dominate and doubled their advantage soon after as Suhail Bashir turned in a cross at the back post.

Park, facing a first league defeat of the season, pressed for a way back and Tom Peirson’s long throw found Evan Robinson, who nodded home from close range.

With the break approaching, Hammers saw their lead eradicated as Jonny Pickles smashed home from close range.

Park continued to control the game and went 3-2 up on 50 minutes as Pickles took full advantage of a fumble by the ‘keeper to bag his second.

Both sides had chances and Park could have been out of sight but for outstanding saves from stand-in keeper Shutz Ajab.

With 86 minutes on the clock, the Park defence were caught napping from a Hammers corner allowing Foysal Ahmed the time and space to pick his spot and restore parity at 3-3.

Park regained the lead straight from kick off as another Peirson long throw fell to top-scorer Josh Jalali who thumped home, only for Hammers to immediately level throuuh Kamran Hussain’s header.

With the final whistle imminent, Park pumped the ball into the box and substitute Jarrett Rickman rose highest to direct a bullet header into the top corner from 18 yards.

Weavers FC fought back at home to Halifax Amateurs to earn a 4-4 draw.

Amateurs went into the game in a good run and they got off to a perfect start as Ryan West prodded home.

The joy was short-lived as Weavers bagged two quick-fire goals mid-way through the first-half.

Amateurs restored parity as Richard Battye’s long-range effort looped over the Weavers keeper.

Amateurs substitute Greg Porter put daylight between the sides within five minutes of the restart when his effort from the edge of the box went in off the underside of the bar.

Ten minutes later top-scorer Chris Bairstow’s effort caught the ‘keeper flatfooted and curled into the top corner to make it 4-2 with 30 minutes left.

Both teams battled hard but Weavers finished the stronger and scored two well-worked goals from corners.

In a frantic finish, Amateurs ‘keeper Johnny Crossley saved brilliantly from a Weavers back-heel before Battye and Bairstow missed chances at the other end.

Halifax Rangers kept themsleves in the title race with a 2-1 home win over bottom side Ovenden Phoenix, while North Bridge FC Reserves made it four games unbeaten with a 2-2 home draw against St Columbas.