Rapist who fled country is jailed for five years

A MAN who raped a vulnerable woman as she made her way home from a night out has been jailed for five years.

Saturday, 28th January 2012, 5:12 pm

Peter Fallows, now 34, fled the country after he committed the horrendous attack back in 2007 after offering to walk his victim home from Halifax town centre.

Fallows said he would take her to her boyfriend’s house after she left Barbarella’s in Silver Street in the early hours of Saturday, November 17 that year.

After being unable to gain access to the flat, the victim entered Delph Street where Fallows grabbed her and forced her to perform oral sex on him.

During the attack, she bit hard down on him drawing blood. His blood was later found on her clothes.

Medical evidence suggested that she had also been sexually assaulted but she could not remember that part of the ordeal.

She told police she recognised the man as a customer of the Halifax pub she worked at and knew his name was Peter.

A month after committing the attack Fallows bought a return ticket to Bulgaria, but didn’t come back for three years.

In early 2008, CCTV images published in the local press led the a member of the public providing links to Fallows.

Police tracked him down and he was arrested when he returned to the UK in 2010.

Fallows of Brink Top Farm, Mytholmroyd, denied rape and assault by penetration, but was found guilty by a jury at Bradford Crown Court in November last year.

Detective Superintendent Dick Nuttall, head of the rape investigation team, said: “This was a particularly nasty assault committed against a defenceless young woman who was making her way to the home of a friend after a night out.

“I would like to pay tribute to the victim for the patience and courage she has shown throughout this investigation and the trial.

“I hope that she can now find some comfort in the fact that her attacker has been jailed,”he added.

Fallows will be released on license after half of his sentence.