Mobile drug dealer jailed for five years

A Luddenden Foot man who acted as a mobile drug dealer on the streets of Halifax has been jailed.

Saturday, 4th April 2015, 7:00 am
Jailed drug dealer Scott Wyatt

Scott Wyatt, along with his driver and fellow dealer Ghulam Rasul, was spotted by police selling heroin and crack cocaine from four different Seat Leon vehicles back in 2013.

The pair were arrested over their activities in September 2013, but after being released on bail they were caught dealing again in November of the same year.

Earlier this week a judge at Bradford Crown Court jailed 31-year-old Wyatt, of Burnley Road, Luddenden Foot, for five years and ten months after he admitted two specific charges of supplying heroin and crack cocaine.

The court heard that Wyatt had a previous conviction for being concerned in the supply of heroin, and while on bail again for the drugs offences he had been involved in a dangerous driving incident during which he had caused damage to two cars as he tried to evade police officers.

Wyatt admitted driving dangerously around various Halifax streets following the police pursuit in December last year and Judge Jonathan Durham Hall QC imposed a six month prison sentence to run alongside the jail term for the drug dealing matters.

The judge said Wyatt would have to take an extended driving test before he could lawfully drive again.

The court heard that Rasul, 32, of Highfield Terrace, King Cross, Halifax, had no previous convictions and he was jailed for five years after he admitted the drugs supply offences.

Prosecutor Anthony Dunne told the court how officers initially arrested the pair in September 2013 after they saw a drug user approaching a Seat Leon in the Queen’s Road area.

When the drug user was later stopped by officers he was found to be in possession of a wrap of crack cocaine.

The officers who arrested Rasul and Wyatt found cash in the car along with a mobile phone.

Wyatt himself had £150 on him and another mobile phone.

The court heard that the pair were arrested again in November 2013 after a heroin deal had been observed by officers in the King Cross Road area.

Mr Dunne said another mobile phone which was in the car was found to have the same “dealer line” number which the men had been using in September and it was constantly ringing as the vehicle was taken for examination.

He said when the phone was analysed there were 80 missed calls on it.

Mr Dunne said a search of a ginnel near to Rasul’s home revealed a child’s novelty egg containing 11 wraps of heroin and crack cocaine hidden behind a loose stone in a wall.

Lawyer Simon Hustler, for Rasul, said he had been acting as the driver and he didn’t seek to blame anyone else for his involvement in the offending.

He said Rasul regretted his offending and was embarrassed and ashamed of his be behaviour.

Adam Walker, for Wyatt, said his client had described his own life as having been plagued by an addiction to Class A drugs.

He said Wyatt was making some money from the offending but it was only being used to fund his own habit.

Judge Durham Hall described the pair’s activities as a well-organised and efficient little mobile dealing unit.

He noted that the second incident in November had been committed in flagrant breach of the bail granted to the two defendants.