Fire chief warning after pan fire alarm

editorial image

Fire chiefs are advising people to ensure smoke alarms are fitted and not to leave cooking unattended.

The message comes on the back of an incident yesterday (Friday) night on Myrtle Avenue, Ovenden.

A pan had been left unattended and the alarm was only raised by neighbours hearing the smoke detector and the smell of smoke coming from the property.

Nobody was inside the house as Illingworth firefighters arrived at 8.20pm and forced their way in.

No damage was caused but a spokesperson from the station said the situation could have been a lot worse.

“We would advise people not to leave any cooking unattended and to make sure smoke alarms are installed and working.

“On this occasion it helped prevent a more serious incident.

“Anybody wanting smoke alarms to be fitted or tested can contact their local fire station.”