Castle Carr ruins and fountain in public showing
A WALK to the famous ruins and fountain at Castle Carr has been arranged by Midgley Community Forum for later this month.
The former house was built in 1852 by Captain Joseph Priestley Edwards of Fixby and was so grand in its day that it even had its own gas works. Today only a few sections of the original house remain as it was demolished in the 1960s.
What does remain though is a fountain in the original water gardens, which was once the highest gravity-fed fountain in Europe and is still a spectacular sight among the rhododendrons and the semi-derelict sunken gardens.
The walk by kind permission of Mr and Mrs F. Scholefield will be led by Rema Simm on July 17. It leaves Midgley bus terminus at 11am and the fountain will be switched on at 1.30pm. There will be a charge on the gate of £2.50 for adults and £1 for children.