Unattended candle causes house fire

editorial image
0
Have your say

An unattended candle caused a house fire in Rastrick in the early hours of this morning (Tuesday).

Fire crews from Rastrick and Huddersfield were called to a property on Foxcroft Drive at around 12.50am.

An elderly couple had to evacuate the home and were treated for smoke inhalation.

Laurie Hayman, crew manager at Rastrick fire station, said: “The occupants of the property were alerted by their smoke alarm and were out when we arrived.

“But this shows the importance of not leaving candles unattended and having a working smoke alarm.”

For a free fire safety check in your home visit www.wyfs.co.uk