Saved family close by to a second sea rescue drama

editorial image

A father whose family were rescued off the Northumbria coast in a dramatic sea rescue just under three weeks ago has spoken of his shock ‘again’ after a 12-year-old boy was swept out to sea three miles away from where he was windsurfing .

David Sheard, of Hebden Bridge, was windsurfing off the coast of Anglesey when he witnessed the RAF helicopter set off to search for Isaac Nash in August 29 - a Huddersfield boy that has been missing for almost a fortnight.

Isaac was paddling in shallow water off Aberffraw beach when he got into difficulty in the water and was dragged out to sea.

The search mission involving the RNLI, RAF and Coastguard has been ongoing since.

“I was wind surfing three miles away at the time but we were aware something had happened because we had seen the rescue helicopter setting off.

“I am quite experienced in the sea, as we are involved in a lot of water sports but the sea was really rough that day. Everyone was quite shocked around the town.

“After what happened to my family, it really makes you appreciate what the parents are going through,” David said.

Just two weeks ago, David and his family were involved in a major rescue operation after five members of his family were swept out to sea after a “very strong” rip tide hit Beadnell Bay in Northumbria - the beach where they were swimming.

The family members were playing in the sea on various bouyancy devices when several waves changed direction causing the current to pull two teenagers and three adults out to sea. The incident prompted a major rescue operation and panic on the beach but within moments of raising the alarm, two lifeboats were launched from Seahouses - four miles from Beadnell Bay.

RNLI crews recovered the five relations and three were taken to Wansbeck Hospital for treatment for shock, possible hypothermia and for swallowing sea water - a condition that can cause secondary drowning.

“When the rescue boat returned, there were floods of tears and it was a massive relief for our family. It was quite emotional.

“We were unbelievably grateful for the fact that everyone was wearing some kind of buoyancy device. Everyone either had a wetsuit, body board or jacket on and that helped because they were nearly out there an hour,” David added.

One of the relatives, who watched on from the beach but did not want to be named, said she wanted to warn people about the dangers of strong currents.

“Had they not acted bravely and sensibly in their situation. I fear that they would not have been in such good condition when the lifeboat brought them to safety.

“I strongly support that the wider public should know about the dangerous of the sea, and in particular the risks of rip currents.”