Jury hears closing speeches in Halifax ‘sword attack’ trial

Bradford Crown Court

Bradford Crown Court

0
Have your say

The jury in the trial of a Mixenden father accused of causing grievous bodily harm with intent has begun hearing closing speeches in the case.

Mark Ryan, 45, is alleged to have stabbed 37-year-old Stuart Sinclair in his eye socket with a sharp thin implement, possibly a sword blade, during a street confrontation in the Stanningley Road area of the town in February.

Mr Sinclair was rushed to hospital after being injured and suffered a blood clot on his brain.

Ryan, of Brow Bottom Lane, revealed to the jury earlier this week how he himself had been permanently blinded in his right eye in an accident in 2012.

Ryan told the jury that the penetrative eye injury had resulted in him losing his sense of smell and taste and he needed medication for constant pain and a post traumatic stress disorder.

He also said he now suffered from a fear of crowds and had problems with his short term memory.

Ryan, who has denied charges of causing grievous bodily harm with intent and an alternative allegation of inflicting grievous bodily harm, claimed that he had been threatened in the past by Mr Sinclair and in a prepared statement given to the police after his arrest he said the complainant had tried to attack him.

The defendant said he thought Mr Sinclair was going to give him “a good hiding” and described how he pushed him away as he came towards him with his hands raised.

“I just thought I’ve had enough of this, turned round and went home,” said Ryan.

Ryan said he only became aware of Mr Sinclair’s injury when police came into his home to arrest him in the early hours of the morning.

This morning (Thursday) prosecuting counsel Caroline Wigin began her closing address to the jury and they will later hear a closing speech from Ryan’s barrister Ken Green.

Judge Mark Savill will then begin his summing up of the case before the jury retire to begin their deliberations.

The trial continues.